1) Why Handlooms?
- It is a Heritage Craft of our Country
- Provides employment to large section of Rural artisans
- Requires low capital investment
- No investment in providing trained manpower
- It is environment friendly
- Its flexibility and adoptability can produce articles according to the need and taste of the growing population.
2) What is the difference between Khadi and Handlooms?
Hand made Yarn through Charkas is used in Khadi whereas in Handlooms, mill made yarn is used for producing cloth. There is no difference in weaving process.
3) What is the Status of Handloom Industry in the State?
There are about 3.50 lakhs Handloom weavers depending on weaving and allied activities. Out of which approximately 50% are covered under 1282 Weavers Cooperative Societies in the State.
4) What are the well known/famous Handloom varieties in the State?
Uppada Jamadhani, Pochampalli tie and Dye Silk/Cotton varieties, Dharmavaram Silk Sarees, Venkatagiri Zari Sarees, Mangalagiri Dress materials, Godavari buta Sarees, Bandar Pattu Sarees, Peddapuram silks, Poduru Khadi.
5) What are the important items of Exports in the State ?
Tie and Dye bed sheets, furnishing Cloth, Dupion Silk cloth, Dress Material, Kalamkari Paintings, Durries, Carpets.
6) What are the other handlooms products produced in the State?
Cotton/ Silk /Zari Sarees, Shirting, Dhoties Bed sheets, Towels, Lungies, Livery cloth, Polyster Shirting, Suiting, Merino Blankets, Cumbals, Mosquito Nets, Carpets, Zamkhana, Gauge Cloth, Dress Materials, Modern Handkerchiefs, Silk Turbons etc.